ABOVE: KATIE HERZIG. PHOTO COURTESY OF HEIDI ROSS
Singer-songwriter Katie Herzig says the song “Thick as Thieves,” which we’re pleased to premiere here, “lives somewhere between sadness and sweetness—such is life.” It’s a pretty apt description of her voice in general, which is at once haunting and euphoric, playing double duty on lead and backup vocals. That voice, a strong piano and drum-led tempo, and a sweeping string-section backdrop contribute to the song’s memorable polish.
Herzig co-wrote “Thick as Thieves” with Australian indie-folk singer-songwriter Butterfly Boucher and co-produced with it Cason Cooley. Herzig will no doubt draw comparisons to singer-songwriters like Ellie Goulding, Sia, and Robyn, and to her credit, she’s been at this for over a decade. Her songs have been picked up by every other television show with a halfway decent music supervisor and an indie bent—so if you’re not acquainted with Herzig already, we suggest brushing up now, before her fifth album, Walk Through Walls, drops in a few weeks.
KATIE HERZIG’S WALK THROUGH WALLS IS OUT APRIL 8. FOR MORE ON THE ARTIST, PLEASE VISIT HER WEBSITE.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Our Once and Future President, Answers 21 Questions from Her Famous Friends
- Lil Tracy and Ishmael Butler Have a Father and Son Heart-to-Heart
- The One Where Jennifer Aniston Gets Grilled by Sandra Bullock
- Ed Templeton and William Strobeck On Skateboarding and Sweaters
- Talk Hole: Zooming Through the Quarantine with Jeremy O. Harris