Who’s So Vain?
Published February 26, 2010
A newly available, re-worked version of Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain” would seem bring the music-listening public one step closer to solving a mystery that has plagued us for nearly four decades. Apparently, when the track is played backwards, Simon can be heard (somewhat creepily) whispering the name “David,” a discovery that is being touted as the answer to the question “Who’s so vain?” The UK’s Sun insists that the man in question is famed producer David Geffen, who was the head of Simon’s label, Elektra, at the time of the song’s recording. The supposed explanation? Simon was jealous of the attention her boss was lavishing on rival Joni Mitchell. As of now, Simon has neither confirmed nor denied. Above, we review some past speculation.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work