Published April 19, 2011
Skateboards, longboards . . . emery boards? Though a prototypical SoCal dude might not be the most obvious choice as Chanel’s first-ever celebrity manicurist, Tom Bachik insists that lacquering the digits of Victoria Beckham and BeyonceÌ and his earlier airbrush paint jobs in the action-sports world actually have quite a bit in common. “It was just a switch of canvases from helmets and racing jet-skis to fingernails,” the Tehachapi, California-raised artist says. Warming to his new role as color ambassador for the iconic French brand—a job that includes highlighting the palette of the season—Bachik gave Interview a hand custom-painted with a koi fish bracelet cuff design featuring what is sure to be the Jade du moment for summer 2011: Mimosa. For those not quite ready to hang 10 with lemon-yellow nails, Nouvelle Vague and Riva (turquoise and azure shades from the two previous Cruise collections), as well as Bachik’s perennial obsession, Orange Fizz, are still making waves.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Meet Roberto Lugo, the Potter Making Ceramics of Biggie and Basquiat
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November