ABOVE: (LEFT TO RIGHT) GARY OLDMAN, JAMIE BELL, GARRETT HEDLUND, AND WILLEM DAFOE IN PRADA’S FW 2012 CAMPAIGN.
Judging by Prada’s last few collections, Miuccia Prada has an interest in power dynamics across generations. Finding a middle ground between a 50’s-inspired Spring RTW show and “virtual princess”-themed Fall RTW show, Prada’s Fall/Winter 2012 Menswear Campaign balances past and present sophistication. The new campaign features iconic actors Gary Oldman and Willem Dafoe, along with rising talents Garrett Hedlund (of Tron: Legacy) and Jamie Bell (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) to offer a cross-generational portrait of sophistication and power. It is not the designer’s first time turning to Hollyood for talent; Michael Pitt was the face of Prada’s spring/summer 2012 campaign, and a promotional video Prada released last month featured Helena Bonham Carter and Sir Ben Kingsley. Oldman and Dafoe actually modeled it on the Milan Fashion Week runway in January, and Defoe’s wife Giada Colagrande directed a short film for Miu Miu in February.
But beyond the actors, the intensity and purely grayscale color scheme of the three-quarter length portraits suggests the line is just as much about an attitude toward dress as the men actually wearing the clothes.
- Like Everyone Else, Mackenzie Davis and Charlize Theron Discuss Happiest Season
- Adam Sandler Interviews Aubrey Plaza About Her Mind-Blowing New Role
- Kaley Cuoco and David Spade on Flight Attendants, Bad Reviews, and Fake Feuds
- Machine Gun Kelly Tells Dave Franco About the Year That Saved His Life
- Nick Kroll and Seth Rogen Trade Summer Camp Horror Stories