New York Fashion Week: Cut!
Published February 16, 2009
It has only been three official days of fashion shows, but already we’re already remarking a strong use of cut-out silhouettes in many collections. It could be in response to the recession and designers are trying to save up every scrap of material possible, or it could be experimentation in showing new sensual parts of the body-either way, get ready to show some skin!
Ohne Titel showed great leggings with slits at the knee, and Alexander Wang and Preen experimented with bits and pieces removed from dresses and pants for a bold new nude. Elise Overland and Threeasfour seemed to be trying out new parts of the body that should be exposed—a torso strip here, or collarbone spotlight there. Finally, Rachel Roy and Jonathan Saunders went a more sophisticated cut-out look, highlighting the waist and shoulder. The lesson to be learned: it’s no longer about low-cut tops and short skirts—the new sexy, via cut-up pants and incised dresses, is on the inside
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation