Mysterious Margiela Finds a Friend in Opening Ceremony
Published February 17, 2011
Even the elevator ride to the MM6 Maison Martin Margiela x Opening Ceremony presentation felt like part of the show. With a handwritten “Out of Order” sign taped over the buttons, the attendant nonchalantly lifted up the paper and pressed the number of the correct floor. “I want to make sure everyone goes exactly where they’re supposed to be,” he said. Like the Maison’s clothes, there was more to it than what met the eye.
The capsule collection for Fall/Winter 2011 features women’s apparel and accessories in playful, multi-functional styles. As Opening Ceremony’s Creative Director Humberto Leon explained, “We wanted the collection to represent the intelligence in what we feel is in the Maison, which is the smart clothing, that the clothing isn’t what it seems, that there’s more to it than just the piece itself. And so there’s this great idea of transformation and this great idea that every piece has almost three functionalities.”
And what kind of 3-in-1 styles can you expect? A leather jacket made with a button-fastened nylon lining can be unbuttoned to turn into a nylon jacket. A low boot and a leather stirrup leg-warmer can be styled separately, or combined to make the complete look. A chain purse, pouch, and bag exist as three different entities, or snap together as one. I can’t think of a recent collection that’s packed such a bang for your buck.
MM6 MARGIELA X OPENING CEREMONY WILL BE AVAILABLE GLOBALLY IN SEPTEMBER 2011.
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Mel Ottenberg and Jeremy O. Harris in Paris: An Honest Conversation About the World’s Most Polarizing TV Show