Dare we say it? Marilyn Monroe is enjoying a swell in her already unmatchable popularity. My Week With Marilyn, Simon Curtis’s week-in-the-life-of that pins Michelle Williams as the smoldering screen queen, is in theaters now. And now, Florentine luxury brand Salvatore Ferragamo has announced that Monroe will be the subject of an exhibition in Florence’s Museo Salvatore Ferragamo.
The highlight of the exhibit will be the collection of 14 pairs of shoes Monroe had bought decades before in Ferragamo’s Park Avenue shop in New York. Ferragamo designed the shoes for the icon himself, including a pair of four-inch stiletto-heeled pumps he created to enhance Monroe’s calves and swaying walk. In 1999, the museum had purchased them from Christie’s for their own collection.
Monroe-related fashion and art pieces will also be on display, including costumes from several of Monroe’s movies, the actress’s personal dresses, and contemporary artwork to symbolize the dual nature of the brilliant but troubled star. The exhibition will open to the public in July.
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November