Fashion Week Questionnaire: Kai Kuhne
Published February 13, 2009
For New York Fashion Week, Interview asked our favorite designers to respond to a questionnaire. Kai Kuhne is the member of asFOUR who struck out on his own. In the process his video presentations, featuring Chloe Sevigny and Rita Ackermann. Above Interview exclusively presents Kai’s video for Fall/Winter 2009. Along the way, we asked the designer his inspiration, and his Fashion Week Uniform—in minute detail. Kai’s runway show is happening right now.
1. What’s your inspiration this season?
An Optical Mechanical Ballet in the Metropolistic Superstudio of New York City. (Inspiration photo and stills from the video for my show below)
2. What’s your uniform during Fashion Week?
It’s day and night. For day: Uniqlo black oxford shirts, Acne jeans, Alden shoes. For night: Tiger of Sweden Suits, Calvin briefs and Lanvin shoes
3. What do you have for breakfast during ashion Week? What do you have as a cocktail?
Cigarettes and coffee … Champagne on ice
4. Your show tonight nearly closes out Fashion Week. What’s one show you appreciated?
Telfar at St. Mark’s Church, last Friday—how the time flies! He rocks. He is the shit.
5. What are you worried or excited about in preparation for your show?
I am excited about the new bags I’ve been creating; they’re made from the finest calf skin and inspired by Old World laundry hampers. It’s an amuse gaulle to the upcoming accessories line. And I am in love. So no worries.
Stills from the Ballet Mecanique:
- The Perfect Halloween Costume for Your Sign, According to Benny Drama
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- The Boulet Brothers Spill Their Guts on Everything Scary, from Fake Blood to Jeffrey Toobin
- Why Mia Wallace’s outfit made Pulp Fiction’s dance scene so iconic