In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
According to Indiewire, Vikings may be the next vampires, and Leonardo DiCaprio wants in. DiCaprio was eyeing a Viking epic back in 2010, but production plans fell through. Warner Brothers recently optioned King Harald, the story of legendary Viking king Harald Hardrada. DiCaprio is said to be producing the film with his Appian Way partner, Jennifer Davisson Killoran. As DiCaprio is a known history buff, it’s pretty safe to assume that he’ll be playing the lead.
Hardrada reigned as King of Norway from 1046 to 1066. One kingdom, however, was not enough and Hardrada added the English and Danish thrones to his résumé as well. In addition to his multiple crowns, Harald had multiple wives; some say two at the same time. The king also did a brief stint in exile, during which his brother Olaf and Olaf’s son, Magnus the Good, kept watch over the kingdoms. In sum, the life of Harald seems to resemble that of a medieval Mob boss, with historic family ties, shifting allegiances, a strong distaste for the rules, and an overarching hunger for power.
Casting Call runs every Friday. For more, click here.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- What Is Magic? Keiynan Lonsdale and Jacob Collier Look to Art for Answers
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected