John Legend and his fiancée Chrissy Teigen, along with supermodels Petra Nemcova and Niki Taylor, looked on from the front row Tuesday as Badgley Mischka sent its Spring/Summer 2014 collection down the runway in Lincoln Center. The designers showed highly wearable day separates (including crop tops with palazzo pants) before presenting the main event: their evening gowns.
Several of the embellished, gossamer gowns, many in ephemeral pastel hues with an occasional pop of red, were reimagined with a fresh twist: empire waistlines. Badgley Mischka are perennial red-carpet favorites, and we expect to see their designs on the Emmy red carpet on September 22. Are stylists scouting for Emmy dresses less than two weeks before the award show? “It’s been known to happen,” said James Mischka.
Stylist Philip Bloch agreed. “I’ve seen stylists literally rip gowns right off the runway, as soon as the models got backstage. I’ve put many of my clients in Badgley Mischka over the years. Right now I’m working with Forest Whitaker’s wife, Keisha, for the Oscars.” Whitaker is considered a frontrunner Best Actor nominee for The Butler.
“They are dear friends and I’ve been here since the beginning of time,” said Bloch about Badgley and Mischka. “I’ve been through the ups and downs with the boys and I’m thrilled about this beautiful collection today.”
As for the designers’ vision for the evening collection, Mischka told us, “Imagine an heiress jumping off a yacht and becoming a mermaid…”
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Gunna and Young Thug Share Rules to Live By: Smoke After Sex, Keep Your Kitchen Lit
- Lisa Rinna Welcomes Denise Richards to ‘Real Housewives’ With Her Best Tips for Surviving a Season
- Marc Jacobs Thinks Men Should Wear Makeup
- Uncut Gems’s “Handsome Older Man” Wayne Diamond Establishes a New Legacy