LIVE FAST, FLIP BIRDS, M.I.A. DOES IT WELL.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Giants, a football team from New York, won an important football game last night in the final minutes. It is very hard to find news this morning that’s not about the Super Bowl! [NYT]
• Madonna played the halftime show! She was joined by Cee-Lo Green, Nicki Minaj, M.I.A., and LMFAO. Madge was very enthusiastic, and her greatest-hits medley was awesome, even if the lip-syncing was very obvious. [Billboard]
• Oh, also, M.I.A. flipped the bird during her verse, which NBC has already apologized for. Here is a gif of it, if you want to see it over and over. [Tumblr]
• And there were ads, which were underwhelming. Here is the most complete compilation of them that we could find. The Audi one with the vampires is funny! [BI]
• Chronicle and The Woman in Black were neck-and-neck to win the weekend box office, with $22M and $21M, respectively. The Grey, Big Miracle, and Underworld Awakening closed out the top five with $9.5M, $8.5M, and $5.6M. [BOM]
• Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her Diamond Jubilee anniversary today. (Don’t worry, we had to Google it, too: it means she’s been a British figurehead for 60 whole years!) She looks suitably regal in this new official portrait. [People]
• Saturday Night Live capped off what will henceforth be known as The Week Your Friends Wouldn’t Shut Up About Lana Del Rey with an LDR parody by Kristen Wiig. She made some great points! [Popdust]
• Gerard Depardieu, notable César-winning actor and airplane pee-er, has been cast as Dominique Strauss-Kahn in a screenplay based on Strauss-Kahn’s hotel sex scandal. [Vulture/NYM]
- Machine Gun Kelly Tells Dave Franco About the Year That Saved His Life
- Red Velvet Takes Diplo Inside the Life of a K-Pop Supergroup
- Clea DuVall and Natasha Lyonne Discuss the Subtle Rebellion of Happiest Season
- “No Regrets”: Glenn Close and Whoopi Goldberg Discuss Their Singular Careers
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse