YE WOULD RATHER BE ON HIS “SHUTTER SHADES & REFLECTIVE JACKET” SHIT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• After Kanye West dissed Justin Timberlake’s new single—his exact words were “I got love for Hov, but I ain’t fucking with that ‘Suit & Tie'”—Timberlake modified the lyrics to the song a bit during an absolutely stellar performance of it on Saturday Night Live this weekend. “My hit’s so sick, got rappers acting dramatic,” he noted. Indeed! [Vulture/NYM]
• Here you can listen to the new Azealia Banks single, “Yung Rapunxel,” from her long-awaited debut album Broke with Expensive Taste. You can also read about her feuds with the Stone Roses and Shystie, if you aren’t caught up on your beefs. [Pitchfork]
• Herald Center, the 10-story erstwhile home of Daffy’s on 34th Street, is looking for a new fashion tenant to fill the Daffy’s space —and not a discount retailer. They’re reportedly trying for Topshop. [WWD]
• Oz the Great and Powerful opened this weekend with an extremely respectable $80.3M; Jack the Giant Slayer made $10M in its second week; and Dead Man Down, Snitch, and 21 and Over all made between $5M and $5.4M. [BOM]
• Adele will perform at Michelle Obama’s big 50th-birthday bash next January. Before you’re all set to be like, “Michelle, we have singers in America, too, where your husband is the President,” don’t worry: Beyoncé’s performing too, duh. [Hello!]
• Two artists are seeking payment from Baauer and Mad Decent for using unlicensed samples of their music in the wildly popular “Harlem Shake.” They’re responsible for the two parts of the song you’re probably thinking of: Hector “El Father” Delgado for the sample at the very beginning, and rapper Jayson Musson (aka Hennessy Youngman!) for the actual line, “Do the Harlem Shake.” [NYT]
• Queen Elizabeth II is expected to sign the 21st Century Commonwealth Magna Carta today, which includes an anti-discrimination clause that implicitly supports gay rights. Every little bit helps! [Jezebel]