ABOVE: JAY CAN TURN PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING INTO A THRONE.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Jay-Z suggested in an interview with MTV that he and Kanye West might release another Throne album in 2012, saying, “We’re in a great place creatively. You might see a Jay, then Kanye and a Throne album next year.” Thus spake the Hov. [MTV]
• Critics’ awards for this year’s films are starting to pour in. The Artist took best picture at the Boston and New York Film Critics Online awards; San Francisco went with The Tree of Life, and Los Angeles critics gave their top award to The Descendants. In lieu of its own Best Picture, AFI named 10 “movies of the year” and gave The Artist and the Harry Potter series special awards. [Deadline, 2, 3, 4, 5]
• If it doesn’t skeeve you out to think about Tony Bennett sketching Lady Gaga nude, Titanic-style, you can bid on the resulting “art” starting at 1 pm today. The picture even kind of looks like Jack’s portrait of Rose! [P6]
• New Year’s Eve opened in the top spot at this weekend’s box office, with $13.7M; The Sitter was next, opening at $10M. Twilight, The Muppets, and Arthur Christmas finished out the top five. Notably, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy made $301,000—but on just four screens, bringing its per-theater average to a whopping $75 grand. [BOM]
• Jennifer Aniston topped Men’s Health‘s list of the Hottest Women of All Time, beating out Madonna and Marilyn Monroe—but said that she thinks the sexiest woman of all time is Gloria Steinem. [THR, MH]
• Lowe’s made headlines over the weekend for pulling their advertisements from TLC show All-American Muslim after some Islamophobic groups complained. [Gawker]
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- Anna Khachiyan Shares Her Gut Reactions On Everything From Toxic Masculinity to ‘Vanderpump Rules’
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road
- “I’m a WASP with a WAP”: Chloe Fineman on Chloe Fineman
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress