WE LIKE TO THINK DOLLY PARTON IS OUR GODMOTHER TOO.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The annual “World Beard Championships” took place in Germany this weekend. Get ready to be dazzled by the powers of mustache wax. [The Guardian]
• Dolly Parton is Miley Cyrus’ godmother. [E!]
• Is YouTube the new MTV? It seems to think so. Yesterday Jason Schwartzman hosted the inaugural “YouTube Music Awards.” [YouTube]
• Ender’s Game won the box office with $28 million. Other new entries included Last Vegas, which came in third with $16.52 million; something called Free Birds, which came in fourth with $16.2 million; and Richard Curtis’ About Time, which snagged the coveted 12th spot with $1.1 million. [BOM]
• Courtney Love wants a “second chance.” We question the use of the word “second.” [People]
• Britney Spears released a new song last night called “Perfume.” While trying to Google it, we discovered that Britney’s actual perfumes are called “Curious,” “Fantasy,” “Curious Fantasy,” “Midnight Fantasy,” “Hidden Fantasy,” “Circus Fantasy,” “Radiance,” and “Believe,” among others. [Facebook]
• Speaking of perfumes, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen have designed their first perfume for Elizabeth and James. [WWD]
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Meet Roberto Lugo, the Potter Making Ceramics of Biggie and Basquiat
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True