Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Golden Globes happened. Meryl Streep won the Cecil B. DeMille Award. During her speech, she discussed the importance of empathy, referencing the time Donald Trump publicly mocked a disabled reporter. Trump reacted on Twitter (of course) with what can only be described as a lie, falsehood, porcupine, tall story, fiction, delusion, deception, fabrication, or untruth. [NYT, Twitter]
• Other notable things that happened at the Golden Globes included: Hugh Laurie making a joke about winning an award for The Night Manager at the “last ever” Golden Globes (“I don’t mean to be gloomy, it just has the words ‘Hollywood,’ ‘Foreign,’ and ‘Press’ in the title.”); Ryan Gosling making a nice speech about his partner Eva Mendes; Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Nocturnal Animals) beating Mahershala Ali (Moonlight) for Best Supporting Actor; Questlove DJing the ceremony; La La Land winning everything in its categories (Best Score, Best Original Song, Best Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Film); The Crown and The Night Manager winning most TV-related things; LaKeith Stanfield dancing on stage when Atlanta won. [NYMag, The Guardian]
• Oh, and here is what everyone wore. [Variety]
• Rogue One continued to dominate the box office. [BOM]
• Gucci Mane has reformed (just don’t suggest that he was ever “scared”). [ESPN/Twitter]
• Here is a new teaser trailer for Beauty and the Beast. [YouTube]