Weekend News Roundup! Leo to Play a Serial Killer; Kim Jong-Il Dies
WHO COULD HAVE GUESSED THIS PLAYFUL YOUNG MAN WOULD GROW UP TO BE A SERIAL KILLER (ONSCREEN)?
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Erik Larson’s bestselling nonfiction book The Devil in the White City has been acquired by Warner Bros. Leonardo DiCaprio is attached to play notorious real-life Chicago serial killer Dr. HH Holmes, and Graham Moore (most recently notable for topping this year’s Black List with his script The Imitation Game) will pen the screenplay. [Deadline]
• Famous figures do die in threes, and writer Christopher Hitchens (who died Thursday) is in sort of bizarre company: former Czech revolutionary Vaclav Havel died Sunday, while North Korean president Kim Jong-Il also died over the weekend. [NYT, 2, 3]
• Rapper Slam Dunkin has also died. [THR]
• This weekend’s box office was sequel city, with Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows opening in the top spot with $40M, followed by Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked at $23.5M and Mission: Impossible—Ghost Protocol at $13M (in only 400-some theaters). New Year’s Eve and The Sitter closed out the top five with $7.4M and $4.4M. [BOM]
• Azealia Banks posted a new track, “Liquorice,” on her Tumblr over the weekend. It’s great! [Azealia Banks]
• Oh, how we wish we’d been invited to Backstreet Boy A.J. McLean’s “goth-themed” wedding to some lady (Rochelle DeAnna Karidis) in Beverly Hills on Saturday! McLean was reportedly a “groomzilla,” which doesn’t surprise us, given the level of commitment he’s demonstrated to his complicated facial hair all these years. [People]
• Suri Cruise had a tantrum inside FAO Schwarz. Maybe she was crying because creeps were taking her photo? Anyway, then Katie Holmes turned 33 a day later. Time goes by so quickly. [People]