SHE’S ON THE EDGE OF ECUADOR-Y, AND SHE’S HANGING THERE WITH JULIAN ASSANGE.
Happy Tuesday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the long holiday weekend.
• Lady Gaga visited Julian Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy in London on Monday night, and they ate dinner together. (New couple alert?!) She wore a big black witch hat, and he wore a plain white T-shirt with a stain on it. Classy, Assange. [THR]
• Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman are the latest casualties in the 2012 March of Shocking Celebrity Divorces, following Heidi Klum and Seal, TomKat, Will Arnett and Amy Poehler, and Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis. Rumor has it that Danny’s wandering eye was one of the main causes for the breakup of DeVito and Perlman’s 30-year marriage; apparently he has not been made aware that “Danny DeVito’s wandering eye” is so gross to think about. [P6/NYP]
• NBC has delayed Community and Whitney‘s season premieres, which were supposed to be October 19, indefinitely. An extra bummer on top of the obvious one is that this means NBC thinks of Community and Whitney in the same sentence. [/Film]
• Taken 2: The Retakening won the weekend box office with $49.5M, followed by Hotel Transylvania with $27M. Pitch Perfect, Looper, and Frankenweenie finished out the top five with $14.8M, $12.1M, and $11.4M, respectively. [BOM]
• Ease back into the workweek with this, a video of Andrew W.K. electrifying David Blaine via keyboard solo. [Pitchfork]
• Jerry Sandusky was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison today for his repeated sexual assaults of multiple minors. He released a rambling, confusing statement from jail. [Gawker]