Weekend News Roundup! Patriotic Timberlake; J.Lo’s New Guy
AFTER SOME QUIET REFLECTION, JAY DECIDED TO DO AWAY WITH THOSE “OCCUPY ALL STREETS” TEES.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Justin Timberlake went to the Marine Corps Ball on Saturday, with Corporal Kelsey DeSantis, and wrote a classy, graceful post about it on his blog. He called it “one of the most moving evenings I’ve ever had” and said some very nice things about the troops. Way to go, Justin Timberlake! [JT]
• Those “Occupy All Streets” shirts being sold by Rocawear with none of the profits going to Occupy Wall Street protesters have, unsurprisingly, been axed. [Vulture/NYM]
• Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol will open the Dubai International Film Festival, which is sort of perfect when you think about it, isn’t it? [THR]
• Immortals dominated the weekend box office with $32M, followed closely by, sigh, Jack and Jill with $26M—more proof that either nobody cares what critics say, or Armond White has millions of dedicated supporters. Puss in Boots and Tower Heist stayed in the top five with $25.5M and $13.2M, respectively, while J. Edgar opened with a disappointing $11.6M. [BOM]
• Four months after splitting up with Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez has reportedly taken up with backup dancer Casper Smart. The best part about this story is the quote an “insider” source gave to Us Weekly: Smart is “popular with the ladies because he goes shirtless!” [Us]
• Silvio Berlusconi resigned as the Prime Minister of Italy, and not a moment too soon! The newly appointed president of the Venice Biennale, Giulio Malgara, whose term was to begin after the current president’s term ends December 18, has also withdrawn, probably because of his ties to Berlusconi. [NYT]
• Evelyn Lauder, socialite, breast-cancer awareness advocate, and daughter-in-law of Estée, died at 75 on Saturday due to ovarian cancer. [NYT]