THE COUNTDOWN IS OVER!
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• In what is definitely the biggest entertainment news story of the weekend and arguably of the whole millennium, Beyoncé had her baby on Saturday at Lenox Hill Hospital. Though Beyoncé initially Tweeted “Welcome to the world Ivy Blue”—which was very exciting for those of us who staunchly believe in normal names for celebrity spawn—she later clarified that her daughter’s name is Blue Ivy. Sigh. [Beyoncé Knowles/Twitter, E! Online]
• Actress (and Ron Swanson tamer) Megan Mullally has confirmed that a Party Down movie is indeed happening, and that she’ll be a part of it. Everybody dig your pink bow ties out of storage! [Deadline]
• The Devil Inside, a movie we’re not sure we were aware existed, topped the weekend box office with a respectable $34.5M. Good job, The Devil Inside! You’ve already made your budget back 34.5 times over. The Mission Impossible, Sherlock Holmes, and Alvin and the Chipmunks franchises all stayed in the top five, as well, in the second, third, and fifth spots; and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo stayed steady at number four with $11.3M. [BOM]
• The Help‘s Octavia Spencer hasn’t gotten a dress yet for this Sunday’s Golden Globe Awards, saying, “No designers are coming to me!” This bums us out. Step it up, designers! [THR]
• If once-relevant club 1Oak gets a renovation and no one is around to care, do the cocktail waitresses’s heels still make a sound? [P6]
• One of the new rules for Oscar eligibility is that a film must be reviewed in either the New York or Los Angeles Times to qualify for a statuette. The point of this seems to be to keep tiny, low-profile films out of the running, which is not very charitable. [NYM/Vulture]
- Comedian Eric Andre Tells Us Why We Need to “Pop the Zit” of Police Brutality
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again
- Kendall Jenner
- What Is Magic? Keiynan Lonsdale and Jacob Collier Look to Art for Answers