WE CAN’T IMAGINE LADY GAGA DEMANDING A LOT FROM HER ASSISTANTS.
Happy Tuesday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the long holiday weekend.
• Some bored, sad person created a mockup of a People magazine cover featuring a Taylor Lautner coming-out cover story, dated January 7. People has denied the authenticity of the cover, as if they even really needed to—you can tell it isn’t real by the typefaces alone—but not before a duped Russell Simmons tweeted his support. Which is sort of sweet. [THR]
• DJ Earworm released his annual end-of-the-year remix, “United State of Pop 2011 (World Go Boom),” and although he remains a very talented mashup artist, the newest iteration is mostly a reminder of how forgettable this year’s pop hits were. (Excepting, as always, Adele.) [DJE]
• A little Christmastime Schadenfreude: Mel Gibson and his ex-wife, Robyn, didn’t have a prenuptial agreement, so now that their divorce is finalized, she’s getting an estimated $425 million in what’s being called the biggest divorce settlement in Hollywood history. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. [People]
• Demi Lovato, who has been treated for depression and an eating disorder, criticized the Disney Channel for allowing a joke about eating disorders to air on the network’s Shake It Up!. [CNN]
• Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol topped the holiday weekend box office, with $46.2M over the four-day weekend; the Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks sequels held onto their top-three spots with $31.8M and $20M, respectively. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Adventures of Tintin closed out the top five with $19.4M and $16.1M, respectively. [BOM]
• Robert and Grace Hightower De Niro had a baby via surrogate, their second. Robert De Niro is 68, but apparently still pretty spry, at least in his own estimation. [WaPo]
• Modernist architect Andrew Geller, best known for his Hamptons beach houses, died on Sunday. [NYT]
- Comedian Eric Andre Tells Us Why We Need to “Pop the Zit” of Police Brutality
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- What Is Magic? Keiynan Lonsdale and Jacob Collier Look to Art for Answers
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again
- Kendall Jenner