Opening Tonight: 8 1/2 x 11/A4
Published December 9, 2008
Andro Wekua; Wolfgang Breuer. Images courtesy of James Fuentes LLC.
The opening tonight at James Fuentes LLC takes its name from the standard paper size limiting submission for the exhibition. The gallerist invited 100 artists to submit a work measuring 8 1/2 x 11 inches. Seventy people responded, including Mathew Cerletty, Dan Colen, Andrew Kuo, Ryan McGinley, Eileen Quinlan, Wolfgang Tillmans, and Andro Wekua, as well as DJ Matt Creed, designer Kenzo Minami, and architect Christian Wassmann. How to organize an exhibtion of such a massive number of artists? Fuentes explains: “Basically, I thought about the artists I run into on the street,” and also, more specifically (or not), “whoever I thought would be into it, or who shaped the way I look at art.” The works were scanned for a downloadable catalogue, prepared in collaboration with zingmagazine, to be available on Fuentes’s web site. Was there anyone the gallerist wished had accepted his invitation? “No,” he said. “The whole premise was about availability and immediacy.”
“8 1/2 x 11 / A4” opens tonight, 5–7 PM, and is on view through December 23. James Fuentes LLC is located at 35 St. James Place in New York.
Mathew Cerletty’s contribution.
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Meet Roberto Lugo, the Potter Making Ceramics of Biggie and Basquiat
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True