Out of Her Mind: Melissa Auf der Maur
Published February 8, 2010
Mid-’90s alt rock was not particularly renowned for producing rock stars with transcendent career trajectories. But with her recent independent multiplatform concept project, Out of Our Minds (OOOM), Melissa Auf der Maur—the flame-tressed bass player from Hole and, occasionally, the Smashing Pumpkins—has proven that artistic life can outlive the era of the babydoll dress. Her latest venture includes a short surrealist fantasy film directed by Tony Stone and starring Auf der Maur (pictured in stills below), a comic book illustrated by artist Jack Forbes, and a full-length album, and revolves around a few common themes, including some old classics: environmental destruction, time travel, and blood. More details at xmadmx.com.
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A Conversation Between Senator Anne Ranch and Demi Lovato (and Danny DeVito)
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward