How I Met My Mentor: Drake on Lil Wayne
Published March 25, 2011
PHOTO BY ROBBIE FIMMANO
At the age of just 28, Lil Wayne has already made an indelible influence on a young generation of rappers. He famously discovered and mentored Drake, after a tape by the former Degrassi star made it to his inner circle. The rapper commanded Drake’s presence in Houston the next day. The rest is history, as told to Dimitri Ehrlich and Interview:
The, the music was played to him by someone I knew at the time who was around him. I assume it was played on the tour bus, you know, but I never really got the exact story. Two songs into it, he stopped the CD and asked the person to get me on the phone. I showed up to Houston and I was staying at the Hotel Derek, I remember. They brought me to my room and I was just in disbelief, like, “What am I doing here?” You know? For me it was surreal.
READ THE FULL TRANSCRIPT.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again