Musical chameleon Dev Hynes—formerly of restless dance-punk group Test Icicles and alt-country solo project Lightspeed Champion, and who currently records warm, synesthetic R&B as Blood Orange—isn’t the possessive sort. “I always say that if someone heard a song of mine and wanted it, they could just have it,” he says in a soft British accent. That collaborative spirit has served Hynes well so far—he’s written and produced songs for Theophilus London, Sky Ferreira, and Solange, among others—and comes full circle on his new LP, Cupid Deluxe (Domino). Out this month, the album features contributions from a deep roster of cool friends that includes Chairlift’s Caroline Polachek, Dirty Projectors’ David Longstreth, and Clams Casino. As the ambient party noise at the end of “You’re Not Good Enough” makes clear, there’s space enough in these tightly constructed, smoothly melodic, ’80s pop-inflected jams to welcome anyone who wants to join in the revelry.
CUPID DELUXE IS OUT TODAY, NOVEMBER 19TH. FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT BLOOD ORANGE’S TUMBLR.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True