Gertrude Stein and Ernest Hemingway, we introduce you to what appears to be the 21th century version of the Lost Generation—more and more rappers are escaping to the City of Lights to stimulate the French economy and flash their well-earned swag. In the vein of Kanye West and Jay-Z’s musical Parisian romp, A$AP Rocky and the A$AP Mob briefly expatriate in the NSFW video for the transparently titled “Goldie,” determined to engage in typical expat activities. Chief among them are smoking, drinking, and cruising the Champs-Elysées in a decidedly more petite version of the tricked-out rides of their peers.
The track is produced by Hit Boy and leads Rocky’s well-received LongLiveA$AP mixtape. Taking uptown swagger to the EU, Rocky displays some impressive dental ornamentation and a wardrobe courtesy of Alexander Wang. The poor Euro/dollar conversation doesn’t seem to faze Rocky and his crew, who empty bottles of Champagne costly as liquid gold onto the ground. With major label backing, there’s no crying over spilled Cristal. Rocky & Co. are draped in luxury—namely a chain of ill-fated forest mammals as a surprisingly functional scarf. PETA may have to compete with a few feminist organizations for first chance to impeach the video, as several topless women and a pile of gold-wrapped condoms suggest just a tad of objectification. But it’s Paris, and we’re on vacation. As Rocky’s hat advises, we should all “Comme Des Fuck Down.”
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- “Well, This Is Awkward”: Christine and the Queens and Troye Sivan Make Post-Pandemic Plans
- Helmut Newton’s Escape Room
- Uncut Gems’s “Handsome Older Man” Wayne Diamond Establishes a New Legacy
- Gunna and Young Thug Share Rules to Live By: Smoke After Sex, Keep Your Kitchen Lit