The much-anticipated trailer for Gary Ross’s film adaptation of The Hunger Games has arrived, in order to restore a dose of high-stakes negativity in the world of fantasy film series. The first installment in the New York Times best-selling trilogy by Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games follows the story of Katniss Everdeen, promising love, death, and gore galore–all in a world without butter beer or glittery skinned boyfriends.
In the trailer’s post-apocalyptic forest of North America, we meet our heroine, the chestnut-haired Jennifer Lawrence. When Katniss’s little sister gets picked for the annual Hunger Games, the televised bloodletting event which pits 24 children, or tributes, against one another, Katniss volunteers herself to take the place of her little sister.
Before Katniss can enter the do-or-die bout, moments of which we see at trailer’s end, she must prep for battle against her well-trained competitors. Joining Lawrence in the film’s acting ranks is a perfectly creepy Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket, Woody Harrelson as Katniss’ drunken mentor, former games victor Haymitch Abernathy, a regal Donald Sutherland as President Snow, and Lenny Kravitz, who lends his sartorial talents to the role of Cinna, Katniss’s stylist.
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Chelsea Handler and Martha Stewart on the Hilarious Journey of Becoming a Better Person
- A Conversation Between Senator Anne Ranch and Demi Lovato (and Danny DeVito)