Casting Call: The Giver
Published July 5, 2011
In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
Former fourth-graders the world over were overjoyed last week when they learned that Jeff Bridges is developing a big-screen adaptation of The Giver, Lois Lowry’s classic young adult novel. The book follows Jonas, a sensitive boy who lives in a precisely ordered dystopia that’s devoid of pain, suffering, and inequality… as well as color, music, and love. When he turns 12 years old, Jonas is selected to be the protégé of The Giver—the only member of the community who remembers what life was like before “sameness” was implemented. Gradually, the boy learns what his society has sacrificed in order to become totally safe and secure.
Bridges is on board to both co-produce the film and star in it as The Giver himself. But who will round out the rest of the cast? We’ve got a few suggestions.
- A Conversation Between Senator Anne Ranch and Demi Lovato (and Danny DeVito)
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward