Into the Woods marks Meryl Streep’s nine-millionth Oscar nomination…or at least her 19th. She’s won three Academy Awards for The Iron Lady in 2012, Sophie’s Choice in 1983, and Kramer vs. Kramer in 19820.
“If you have a brain, you are obliged to use it. That’s why, in terms of scripts, I could never understand reviews of really loathsome movies that excuse the actors by saying, “They do the best they can with the dreadful material they have.” Why did they take the dreadful material? I’m talking about actors who are not struggling.” –Meryl Streep to Wendy Wasserstein, Interview, December 1988
To read the full interview, click here.
- Ask a Sane Person: Daniel Mendelsohn on “The New 1930s” and Schitt’s Creek
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun