Veteran character actor J.K. Simmons is nominated for his role as the sadistic jazz orchestra coach Fletcher in Damien Chazelle‘s Sundance hit Whiplash. It is his first nomination.
“So much of my career as a screen actor has been in smaller and supporting roles and this is certainly a supporting role as well, but people refer to this as a two-hander even though there are wonderful characters in it. It’s a very meaningful part that’s a bigger part of the script than a lot of my characters tend to be… In that way it’s sort of another level of accomplishment.” –J.K. Simmons to Emma Brown, Interview Online, October 2014
To read the full interview, click here.
- “It’s Embarrassing. We Know.”: How Cazzie David and Lorde Forged a Friendship on the Internet
- Comedian Eric Andre Tells Us Why We Need to “Pop the Zit” of Police Brutality
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old
- Miles Aldridge Shares the Memories Behind Some of His Iconic Photos