In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
Energy Independent and BUF are teaming up on a new adaptation of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, currently titled Romeo. More 1o Things I Hate About You meets Donnie Brasco than Franco Zefirelli, in this version Romeo will be a present-day, undercover DEA agent trying to take down a major Miami crime syndicate controlled by Juliet’s father.
Will Simmons will produce and write the film, and Jean Luc Herbulot is currently signed on as the director. Although another, much more traditional version of R & J adapted by Julian Fellowes is set to come out this summer, the two films sound distinct enough that they can both succeed… or flop.
Click through the slideshow above to see who we think should play the star-crossed lovers, two thousand and teens style.
Casting Call runs every Friday. For more, click here.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- What Is Magic? Keiynan Lonsdale and Jacob Collier Look to Art for Answers
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November