In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
Mary Magdalene is one of the most enigmatic figures in the Bible, and a character whose presence in Christianity extends far beyond her dozen or so mentions in the four Gospels. While this might not sound like much, it’s more than most of Christ’s apostles, and Mary was said to be present not only at the death of Christ, but at his resurrection. Outside the Gospels, Mary is speculated to have been a prostitute, the wife of John the Evangelist, or in more creative interpretations, the wife of Christ himself. This fascinating Biblical figure reportedly has her own film in the works at See-Saw Films, with Gareth Davis to direct and Rooney Mara in talks to play the lead. Here are our picks for a Passion story told from the perspective of Mary Magdalene.
Casting Call runs on Fridays. For more, click here.
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road
- Anna Khachiyan Shares Her Gut Reactions On Everything From Toxic Masculinity to ‘Vanderpump Rules’
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress