In which we suggest who would star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
Warner Bros.’ upcoming film Empire Rising is based on Thomas Kelly’s novel of the same name, which is set in 1930 New York City against the backdrop of the construction of the Empire State Building. The story centers on a love triangle, as does all good historical fiction: an artist, Grace Masterson, finds herself caught between the idealistic Michael Briody, an Irish immigrant and steelworker on the building, and the dangerous Johnny Farell, who serves as a liaison between the corrupt Mayor Jimmy Walker and the ultra-powerful Tammany Hall political machine.
Now in its pre-pre-production phase, Guy Ritchie is set to direct and co-produce alongside Lionel Wigram, and Kelly will write the script himself. Hopefully that means we’ll get the lovely, moody cinematography of Sherlock Holmes without the stubborn insertions of hackneyed humor.
Casting Call runs every Friday. For more, click here.
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Ask a Sane Person: Daniel Mendelsohn on “The New 1930s” and Schitt’s Creek