In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
This week, we’re going to forgo the Dirty Dancing-for-ABC reboot, the Tupac biopic (okay, that one is because we’ve already done it), and the terrifying possibility of a Memento remake in favor of a film that has yet to be commissioned: The El Chapo/Sean Penn/Rolling Stone debacle.
A cradle-to-current biopic of the leader of the Sinaloa drug cartel seems like to a lot to take on: graphic violence, hundreds of extras, and an uncertain ending (will El Chapo escape from prison again halfway through production? Probably). Sean Penn’s meeting with Guzman, however, provides the perfect cinematic shortcut. Think of it as Interview with a Vampire IRL: a tense thriller framed as two men talking in secret room, with flashbacks to the most significant events in El Chapo’s past.
Casting Call runs on Fridays. For more, click here.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work
- The Provocative, Uninhibited, and Naked Bodies of Spyros Rennt
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation