GWYNETH PALTROW AT THE VENICE FILM FESTIVAL WITH A BEAUTY LOOK DESIGNED BY EMMA LOVELL
Every season, the beauty market is inundated with fabulous new products from our favorite brands. From adhesive eyeliner patches (thank you, Dior!) to denim blue lacquers, it can be an overwhelming task to sift through the products and colors that rock versus the products that are better left on the shelf. That’s why we enlisted veteran celebrity makeup artist Emma Lovell, whose clients include Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Hathaway, and Scarlett Johansson, to do the deed for us. Here are Emma’s 10 fall product must-haves (and the reasons why every woman needs to own them):
1. Tom Ford’s Eyebrow Pencil, “Brow Sculpter”: I love an eyebrow to frame a face, and a face without one looks unfinished to me. The calligraphy tip is the best yet for drawing in feathery strokes.
2. MAC “Prep” fortified skin enhancer: Discovering this oh-so-delicate primer with a touch of shimmer is a treat; it makes the skin glow under foundation, a perfect solution for dull winter skin. It is SPF 35, and if your skin is in good condition and you don’t want to wear a foundation, it also looks beautiful worn just by itself .
3. Pago Pago by Nars: A soft petal pink that I mix with Jurlique Love Balm for a sheer lip. This is a perfect shade for Gwyneth Paltrow.
4. Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet luminous lip color in La Fascinante: This is a powerful red, and I can never have enough shades of red lipstick in my kit. I used this on Scarlett Johansson for the Moët & Chandon campaign.
5. Desert Rose Lipstick by Bobbie Brown: I love it simply for the color [a heather rose hue].
6. Tom Ford’s Eye Colour Quad in Cocoa Mirage or Golden Mirage: Everyone should own one, just for the packaging alone. The colors are deliciously expensive looking and give you that smoldering, 1970s Catherine Deneuve eye from the Chanel campaign.
7. Shu Uemura Cream Highlighter in Radiant Pearl: It’s perfect for adding a twinkle to the inside corner of the eyes. To use, simply dab on with your little finger.
8. Bobbie Brown’s Naked Plum High Shimmer Lipgloss: It makes your lips full and lusty. This looks great by itself as a high pigmentation, but I also love it layered over Desert Rose.
9. Chanel Illusion D’Ombre 83 Illusoire: This is a gel eyeshadow with silicone. The mink color is stunning, so easy to apply, and it doesn’t crease (which is always a problem with cream shadows).
10. All of Tom Ford’s brushes: Makeup can look messy if applied with the wrong brush.
SARAH HOWARD IS THE EDITOR OF BEAUTY BANTER.
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- Nathan Fielder and Louis Theroux Teach a Masterclass on the Art of Awkward
- Rick Owens and Miley Cyrus on Rock Stars, Recklessness, and Life on the Road
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress