Weekend News Roundup! Violet, Veruka, Tommy, and Wilbur
Happy Tuesday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the holiday weekend.
• Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Huston, who had a tumultuous on-again off-again relationship throughout the ’70s and ’80s, we’re spotted in conversation at a party in the Hamptons. The New York Post is already spreading rumors of a romantic re-kindling and for once we hope they’re right. [P6]
• The Guardian has published a previously unseen chapter from an early edit of Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It involves two disobedient boys named Wilbur Rice and Tommy Troutbeck and a room filled with vanilla fudge. [The Guardian]
• The post-Venice and Telluride Oscar speculation has already begun. At the top of Variety‘s Best Picture list are Wild, Birdman, The Imitation Game, and Foxcatcher (which originally screened at Cannes). Things are not looking so hot for Madame Bovary. [Variety; THR]
• Guardians of the Galaxy won the box office for the third consecutive week, closing a less-lucrative-than-usual summer.
• Lars Von Trier is directing his first English-language television show. [Variety]
• A nefarious hacker posted naked photos of over 100 female celebrities on 4Chan. The FBI are investigating. The lack of male celebrities involved leads us to believe that either: the hacker is a product of our patriarchal society in which women are still shamed for expressing their sexuality or, Freud was wrong and no one really cares about penises. [E!]
• To end on a nice note, here is a song from Jessie Ware’s upcoming sophomore album featuring Dev Hynes. [Pitchfork]