IF YOU KNOW ANYONE WITH A LEAD ON AN APARTMENT, MARC WOULD SURELY APPRECIATE IT.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend—and in the week preceding, presumably including hurricane preparation. With our Soho offices finally reopened today, we’re resuming a normal posting schedule, but our thoughts continue to be with those in areas more seriously affected.
• Marc Jacobs was among those hit by Sandy—he told a TMZ crew that his house is flooded. “I gotta find another place to live,” he says in the video. [The Cut/NYM]
• Disney announced last week that it would be buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion from George Lucas, and that there will be at least three new Star Wars movies, starting with Episode 7. [WaPo]
• Speaking of possibly ill-advised Disney nostalgia projects: the Disney Channel is reportedly in the early stages of a sequel to Boy Meets World, which will be called Girl Meets World and will focus on Cory and Topanga’s tween daughter. Plus, Danielle Fishel and Ben Savage may reprise their roles—and why not, what else are they doing now? [HuffPo]
• Wreck-It Ralph took in a comparatively impressive $49.1M to win the box office this weekend, with Flight opening in second place at $25M. Argo made $10.2M; The Man with the Iron Fists opened at $8.2M; and Taken 2 finished out the top five with $6M. [BOM]
• After criticism following an initial decision not to cancel Sunday’s New York Marathon, Mayor Bloomberg changed his mind and nixed it after all, promising to redeploy supplies that would have been used for the marathon to those in need. [NYP]
• Don’t forget to vote tomorrow! If you live in New York, you can find your polling site here. [NYC]
• If you haven’t seen the cover of this week’s New York Magazine—an aerial view of blacked-out lower Manhattan—it’s stunning. Check it out here, and read a bit about the helicopter ride that made it possible. [NYM]
- “It’s Embarrassing. We Know.”: How Cazzie David and Lorde Forged a Friendship on the Internet
- How Anna Nicole Smith Ended Up Marrying an 89-year-old
- Sway House Demands Your Attention, for Better or Worse
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- Luke Gilford Reimagines the American Cowboy