NICKI MINAJ, THINKING MEAN THINGS ABOUT YOUR MOM.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Nicki Minaj got a little salty with fans on Twitter after canceling a series of UK concerts due to vocal-cord strain. “I was in jeopardy of losing my voice entirely and needing surgery on my vocal chord. If u can’t understand that, your mother’s a WHORE!!!!,” she tweeted, to which we would respond that she has never even met the majority of her followers’ moms. [THR]
• Director Tony Scott, known for True Romance, Top Gun, and Days of Thunder, jumped to his death from a bridge in LA yesterday. He was 68 years old. [ArtsBeat/NYT]
• The Expendables 2 opened in the top spot at this weekend’s box office, pulling in a healthy $28.8M. ParaNorman and Sparkle opened in the third and fifth spots, respectively, with $14M and $12M; and The Bourne Legacy and The Campaign held on in their second weeks in second and fourth positions with $17M and $13.4M. [BOM]
• Rihanna and Oprah sat down for an emotional interview (is there any other kind?) for Oprah’s OWN channel, and as expected, they talked about Chris Brown. “I think he was the love of my life,” Ri-Ri says, and gosh we hope that’s not true. [Popdust]
• Rufus Wainwright will marry his longtime partner, theater producer Jorn Weisbrodt, in Montauk this Thursday. The guest list is expected to run at 250, Yoko Ono is going, and Carrie Fisher is involved in the ceremony somehow. Mazel tov! [P6/NYP]
• A royal canine kerfuffle! Queen Elizabeth’s corgis got into a dogfight with Princess Beatrice’s three Norfolk terriers outside the Queen’s Scottish residence, Balmoral Castle; one of the terriers was roughed up so badly he almost lost an ear. “Unfortunately the dog boy lost control,” a source explained, which is the upper-crustiest sentence we’ve read all morning. [Gawker]
- Adam Sandler Interviews Aubrey Plaza About Her Mind-Blowing New Role
- Like Everyone Else, Mackenzie Davis and Charlize Theron Discuss Happiest Season
- Kaley Cuoco and David Spade on Flight Attendants, Bad Reviews, and Fake Feuds
- Machine Gun Kelly Tells Dave Franco About the Year That Saved His Life
- Nick Kroll and Seth Rogen Trade Summer Camp Horror Stories