Weekend News Roundup! Jay Z’s App, Noah at The Daily Show, the Return of Daphne and Celeste,
ABOVE: TREVOR NOAH IN NEW YORK, MAY 2013. PHOTO BY CHRISTOPHER GABELLO.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Jay Z bought a high-def, subscriber-based, ad-free music streaming service called Tidal. He’s relaunching it with some help from Kanye, Madonna, Rihanna, Coldplay, and Jack White later today. [TechCrunch, Pitchfork]
• Daphne and Celeste, the duo behind 2000 novelty hits “U.G.L.Y.” and “Ooh, Stick You,” have returned with a new single. [Pitchfork]
•Dreamworks’s animated film Home won the box office. [BOM]
• John Hamm almost had Ben Affleck’s role in Gone Girl, but his Mad Men contract got in the way. [P6]
• Something called the iHeartRadio Awards happened. Jamie Foxx hosted. Madonna and Taylor Swift performed together. Rihanna performed her new song. [THR]
• George R.R. Martin won’t be writing an episode of Game of Thrones next season. [Vulture]