BIEBER WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY WHAT HE THINKS OF THOSE JADEN SMITH RUMORS.
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• Details about Justin Bieber’s self-proclaimed “worst birthday” are trickling in: Biebs had his 19th birthday at the London club Cirque du Soir, for 15 minutes, before tussling with security and leaving, allegedly because he brought along 14-year-old Jaden Smith. Bieber maintains he didn’t bring Smith. Who even knows the truth! [Us]
• After winning an Oscar for “Skyfall,” Adele bought her baby a tiny fake Oscar for “Best Son.” We were all prepared to say something snarky about this, but then we saw the photo of the two statuettes lined up together and now we just think it’s adorable. [People]
• Prince is kind of on a roll right now, huh? He played Jimmy Fallon on Friday and killed it; and the Awl found a terrific, recent live video of a slow version of “I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man.” Prince, what are you getting at? What’s the long game here? Whatever it is, we’re on board. [RS, Awl]
• Jack the Giant Slayer won the weekend box office, technically, but it was a pretty weak win—$28M, against the film’s huge $195M budget. Yikes. Identity Thief took the second-place spot with $9.7M; 21 and Over and The Last Exorcism Part II made $9M and $8M, respectively, and Snitch stayed in the top five with $7.7M. [BOM]
• Remember Jamie Lynn Spears? Well, she’s still around, she’s 21, and now she’s engaged, to her 30-year-old boyfriend Jamie Watson. [JJ]
• Interview pal Autre Ne Veut has released a video for “Play by Play,” our favorite cut from the excellent Anxiety; after recording in anonymity for a couple of years, he’s clearly ready to really show his face (and show it on a couple of video monitors behind him, too, for good measure). [Pitchfork]
• Just for fun, we want you to know that a chubby guy dressed as Batman dropped off a wanted criminal at a police station in the UK, then disappeared without revealing his identity. There is whimsy left in the world! [Gawker]
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- “Well, This Is Awkward”: Christine and the Queens and Troye Sivan Make Post-Pandemic Plans
- That Time Brad Pitt Was Banned from China
- A Truly Bonkers Conversation Between Lisa Kudrow and Lily Tomlin
- Helmut Newton’s Escape Room