Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The Grammy Awards happened! Sam Smith won four awards including Best Newcomer and Best Song, but lost Album of the Year to Beck. Eminem beat Common, Schoolboy Q, Childish Gambino, and Iggy Azalea for Best Rap Album. Joan Rivers won Best Spoken Word Album. Prince was there. Kristen Wiig dressed up as Sia. Kanye almost tried to give Beck’s Grammy to Beyoncé but didn’t. [Grammy]
• The BAFTAs happened! The usual suspects won the main awards: Julianne Moore for Best Actress, Eddie Redmayne for Best Actor, and Patricia Arquette and JK Simmons for Best Supporting Actress and Actor. Jack O’Connell won the Rising Star Award. Stephen Hawking was there. Eddie Redmayne did not have to leave the ceremony early to throw up in the corridor. [The Guardian]
• The Directors Guild Awards happened! Birdman won. [Variety]
• SpongeBob SquarePants won the box office with $56 million. Jupiter Ascending and Seventh Son lost with $19 and $7 million respectively. [BOM]
• Brian Williams is wishing a rapid farewell to his career. [The New Yorker]
• Iggy Azalea will no longer be ordering from Papa Johns. [Twitter]
• Bill Murray may have hit on Catherine Deneuve. We hope something comes of this, though it probably won’t. [P6]