Weekend News Roundup! 1935 in 2016 and Hashtag Nonsense
Happy Halloween! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• #HillaryforPrision is trending on Twitter, because apparently “prison” is a challenging word to spell. Or maybe they were going for “precision” or “prism” or “pristine” or “prescient,” or making a point about there being no “I” in “prison” by adding an extra “I,” or trying to circumvent the evil liberal Twitter gods. ¯ _(ã??)_ / ¯ [Twitter]
• On the subject of prescience, here is a clip of Jon Hamm and Jake Gyllenhaal performing a scene from Sinclair Lewis’s unfortunately prescient play about American fascism, It Can’t Happen Here (1935). [THR]
• Boo! A Madea Halloween won the box office for the second consecutive week. [BOM]
• Michael Douglas announced that Val Kilmer has cancer on a British talk show, because that’s what friends are for. [People]
• Prince Harry is maybe dating an American actress. [P6]
• Lupe Fiasco has jumped on the Kid Cudi-hating bandwagon. [Pitchfork]