Weekend News Roundup! The VMAs, a Shark Attack, a New De La Soul Album, and Kayne For President
Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• The VMAs took place. Host Miley Cyrus wore some interesting concoctions designed by Jeremy Scott. Taylor Swift and Nicki Minaj performed together. Nicki Minaj does not like Miley Cyrus. Taylor Swift presented Kanye West with a lifetime achievement award. Kanye gave an acceptance speech, which ended with the announcement that he will be running for President in 2020. He was possibly joking, but you can never be sure thanks to the entertainment-to-politics trailblazers that are Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Donald Trump. Justin Bieber cried. [Time]
• And if you care about who actually won awards, here is the list. [THR]
• A shark took an alarming bite out of a surfer’s board off the coast of California. [ABC]
• Oh, Chrissy Hynde, why did you have to say such things? WHY? [P6]
• De La Soul plan are releasing a new album (thanks to the generous Kickstarter public) featuring guest appearances from Snoop Dogg, Little Dragon, 2 Chainz, Damon Albarn, Estelle, David Byrne, Pete Rock, and Usher. [Pitchfork]