Happy Monday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the weekend.
• After being booed at the BFI London Film Festival premiere of her film W.E., Madonna responded in pretty much the badass-est way possible: “I do know what it is like to be misunderstood on a global scale,” she said. Would that we ever got the chance, even! [THR]
• Joss Whedon has apparently secretly been filming an adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing? The one-sheet says the film is “based on a play,” which is a little annoying, to be honest. [Deadline]
• Britain’s most eligible bachelor, Prince Harry, is in the United States doing military helicopter training (which is a really cool reason to be here), and has reportedly started dating a San Diego cocktail waitress named Jessica Donaldson. You can go ahead and make Kate comparisons on your own time. [P6]
• Paranormal Activity 3 led the weekend box office with a surprisingly strong $54M (against a $5M budget, mind you). Real Steel and Footloose held on in the top three with $11.3M and $10.9M, while The Three Musketeers, which we’ll admit we’d totally forgotten was happening, debuted at $8.8M. The Ides of March rounded out the top five with $4.9M. [BOM]
• An excellent Lady Gaga dog won the annual Tompkins Square Park dog Halloween costume contest. The headdress is probably the best part. [Racked]
• Novelist Elmore Leonard is divorcing his wife of 18 years. This wouldn’t be a big deal, except that Leonard is 86, which sort of begs the question: why even bother? [P6]