New Year’s Weekend News Roundup! Tom Ford’s SS11 Footage; Nicki’s Wardrobe Malfunction; Kate Spade’s Celebrity Face
Published January 4, 2011
BRYCE DALLAS HOWARD, THE NEW FACE OF KATE SPADE (NOT THE COCA-COLA COMPANY, THOUGH SHE COULD PROBABLY PULL THAT OFF AS WELL).
Happy Tuesday! Here’s our compendium of pop-culture news you may have missed while you were doing more important things over the New Year’s long weekend.
• Video footage of Tom Ford’s famously exclusive SS11 fashion show is now available online. The video is set to the song “Pretty Babies” by Interview pal Karen Elson, who also walked in the show. [The Cut/NYM]
• Arkansas has been host to some apocalyptic-seeming animal-related events since the New Year began; just before midnight on New Year’s Eve, 5,000 blackbirds fell from the sky without warning in Beebe; and 125 miles west of Beebe, about 100,000 drum fish have turned up dead. [CNN]
• The New Year’s weekend box office stayed mostly unchanged from last week, with Little Fockers, True Grit, and Tron Legacy still in the top 3 spots. Yogi Bear and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader flipped positions, at 4 and 5 respectively. Blue Valentine only played on four screens, but managed an extremely respectable $193,728. [Box Office Mojo]
• Nicki Minaj spent New Year’s Eve at Miami club Mansion, where her leather dress split open during the midnight countdown. A stylist repaired the damage, and Nicki later canoodled with Drake. [P6]
• In 18 years of operation, Kate Spade has never featured a celebrity in its ads—until now. Bryce Dallas Howard is the first face of the brand. [WWD]
• Jason Schwartzman’s wife, Brady Cunningham, gave birth to a baby daughter named Marlowe Rivers Schwartzman in early December. [People]
• Sonic Youth will release the soundtrack it recorded for French director Fabrice Gobert’s film Simon Werner a Disparu on January 25. [Pitchfork]