STYLING: MIGUEL ENAMORADO. COSMETICS: ARMANI, INCLUDING MAESTRO GLOW NOURISHING FUSION MAKEUP. HAIR PRODUCTS: BUMBLE AND BUMBLE, INCLUDING SPRAY DE MODE. HAIR: LAURENT PHILIPPON FOR BUMBLE AND BUMBLE. MAKEUP: KRISTI MATAMOROS FOR ARMANI BEAUTY/FRANK REPS. SET DESIGN: JULIET JERNIGAN/CLM. PRODUCTION: BO ZHANG/MANAGEMENT ARTISTS. DIGITAL TECHNICIAN: NATALIA READ-HARBER. SPECIAL THANKS: STUDIO 250.
RESIDENCE: NEW YORK.
DO YOU HAVE ANY RITUALS OR SUPERSTITIONS? I take a bath every night before I fence. All stuff needs to be brand new. All my whites.
HOW DID YOU START COMPETING? When I first moved from London to New York, I was getting in trouble every day and they made me stay after school to get extracurricular activity, and it was chess or fencing. I randomly opened a door, and there was a fencing sword. I pulled it out and was like, “What is this?” And that’s how it started.
GREATEST FEAR: Failing, maybe. Giving up, too.
DO YOU HAVE A RECCURING DREAM? I’ve been visualizing myself competing a lot, and it’s kind of freaking me out, like when I’m ready to go to bed.
FAVORITE CHEAT MEAL: I’m British, so bangers and mash, Scotch eggs. I can murder those.
CHOSEN SUPERPOWER: The ability to speak every language. I mean, teleporting would be cool and all, but you can just take a damn airplane, you know? I’ve met so many girls who I love, but I can’t know what they’re saying; I’m like, “This sucks.”
PET PEEVE: I hate when you cheers with someone and they don’t look you in the eyes.
DREAM DATE: Rihanna.
For more from our Golden Year portfolio, click here. To learn more about Team USA, visit teamusa.org. The Rio Olympics begin August 5 on NBC.
- A Truly Bonkers Conversation Between Lisa Kudrow and Lily Tomlin
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- “Well, This Is Awkward”: Christine and the Queens and Troye Sivan Make Post-Pandemic Plans
- Uncut Gems’s “Handsome Older Man” Wayne Diamond Establishes a New Legacy
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True