M.I.A. Brings Out the Clip Art
Published August 11, 2010
The last video M.I.A. released, “Born Free,” caused a bit of a stir. In contrast, the images in her newest clip, for “XXOO,” are almost sardonically inoffensive (with the possible exception of the gold sabers that crop up in the background from time to time). Unicorns, glittering roses, and swans in the style of MySpace clip art abound, set against what appear to be the wallpaper options that came pre-installed on your first cell phone. Clad in a gold bodysuit, with soft backlighting catching on her teased hair, M.I.A. herself looks like nothing so much as an ‘90s Glamour Shot.
- Dylan Sprouse Returns to the Hotel Suite—This Time, in a Pink Dress
- A no-nonsense conversation between Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Kerry Washington
- “The Spectacle Can Never Be Trauma”: Nia DaCosta and Taika Waititi on Exorcism Through Art
- “Cock!”: Nicolas Cage and Marilyn Manson in Conversation
- “It’s Going to Be Mad”: Anya Taylor-Joy Gets Back to Work