Britney, Nicki, and Kanye, Together At Last
Published August 3, 2011
New York’s Britney Spears fans got a surprise last night when Kanye West took the stage at the Nassau Coliseum. No, he wasn’t there to cause trouble—he appeared during Nicki Minaj’s opening set to perform “Monster” with rap’s new princess. Ms. Onika Tanya Maraj bounced around the stage, outfitted in a silver A-line dress and a pink bob as she held her own against the rapper. She spat her infamous—and arguably, the song’s best—verse to a crowd that seemed to know the lyrics as well as she did.
West’s surprise performance came a few days before the debut of Watch The Throne, his collaborative album with Roc-A-Fella records founder, Nets owner, rapper, and Mr. Beyonce Jay-Z. It’s just one more unconventional promotional device being employed by the rappers on the eve of their release; the day before Britney’s concert, Janye had held a listening party for the album in a planetarium, complete with visuals of exploding planets and mini lobster rolls (the food of kings!).
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- The One Where Jennifer Aniston Gets Grilled by Sandra Bullock