BeyoncÃ© Has the Power (Again)
Published April 19, 2011
Those of us who spent the last six months watching “The Beyoncé Experience” can finally retire that YouTube video. Bey’s newly leaked single, tentatively titled “Girls (Who Run the World)” picks up with the girl-power motif that seems to resonate most strongly with her core audience, and proudly touts a somewhat cheesy—but potentially highly addictive—”Who’ll run the world? Girls!” chorus. If the beat sounds familiar, it’s because it’s sampled from Major Lazer’s “Pon De Floor,” a song that anyone that has gone to a bar with a DJ in the last two years has probably heard.
Inarguably, a large part of what makes Beyoncé’s music so great is her performance—and if a recent tweet from Diplo is any indication, the video for this single has already been shot. And if this video is on a scale anywhere near that of the 2008 hit “Single Ladies,” be prepared to see it every day for the next six months.
- Comedian Eric Andre Tells Us Why We Need to “Pop the Zit” of Police Brutality
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again