Casting Call: The Six Billion Dollar Man
Published May 8, 2015
In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
Damián Szifron, the Argentine filmmaker who received an Oscar nomination for his anthology film Wild Tales, recently signed on to write the script for The Weinstein Company’s The Six Billion Dollar Man. Based on the ’70s television show The Six Million Dollar Man, the film will chronicle the adventures of Steve Austin, a former astronaut who receives bionic implants after he’s injured during an experimental mission. Austin’s superhuman assets make him the ideal candidate for covert operations, and he becomes a valued spy for the Office of Scientific Intelligence.
This will serve as the fourth remake of the original five-series television show, which established Lee Majors as a pop culture icon. The show inspired one spin-off series, The Bionic Woman, and three television movies, which were produced in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Mark Wahlberg is set to star as the lead and Peter Berg is rumored to direct. Given America’s historical affinity for this story, and the names attached to the project, The Six Billion Dollar Man is likely to finally get a budget—and the special effects treatment—it deserves. Click through the slideshow above to see who we think should fill out the supporting cast.
Casting Call runs every Friday. For more, click here.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- This Was Not the Publication Year Brandon Taylor Expected
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Adult Film Star Sean Ford Wants to Make Intimacy Sexy Again