In which we suggest who should star in the next big adaptation, remake, or historical film.
When it comes to adaptations of Shakespeare’s tragedies, if the adjective “gritty” doesn’t feature prominently in the synopsis, we’re not interested. We’re not asking for lots of guns and a modern-day setting; rather, Shakespeare’s tragedies are dark, violent, twisted tales of murder, madness, and overwhelming jealousy, with a sprinkling of suicide, rape, and cannibalism.
Fortunately for us, Snowtown Murder’s Justin Kurzel will direct Hollywood’s next stab at Macbeth. According to Indiewire, Kurzel intends to keep Shakespeare’s script and 11th century Scotland-setting. While Michael Fassbender and Natalie Portman have signed on to play Macbeth and Lady Macbeth, the rest of the roles remain unfilled. Click through the slideshow above to see who we think should play Macduff, Banquo, Duncan, and the witches.
Casting Call runs every Friday. For more, click here.
- Chris Evans and Jaeden Martell on Dark Material and Crying in the Mirror Just for Fun
- What Is Magic? Keiynan Lonsdale and Jacob Collier Look to Art for Answers
- Tracee Ellis Ross and Tyler, the Creator on Falling and Getting Back Up
- Ask a Sane Person: Salman Rushdie Wants America to Take Out the Trash in November
- Mark Ruffalo and Philip Ettinger on Playing Four Versions of the Same Two Characters in I Know This Much Is True